Friday, August 17, 2012

Wedding Invitations DIY

It is pretty crazy how much work goes into creating wedding invitations yourself. Yes, I am still currently a student, and during our engagement, I was in my 3rd year of studies. For Travis and I, cutting costs anywhere possible was important.

When it comes to wedding invitations, there are so many different styles and ways of doing them. You can create them yourself and give them a personal flare, or you can order them online and spend up to $500.00 or MORE ordering them from an online company. Or, you can have a little help from the Wedding Chicks! These ladies, Amy and Joyce, have created an amazing blog for future brides to find inspiration, or like me, for past brides who are still obsessed with weddings. For those of you who have Pinterest, you can follow the Wedding Chicks HERE.

These ladies have collected different style of invitations for brides to use for their wedding prep. And the good news is, they are FREE! You pick a design, plug in the information and download your wedding invitation as a pdf. WONDERFUL! You can see their collection HERE.

I kind of became obsessed with bunting. All throughout the wedding planning, I would look at blogs at how they made bunting, where they would hang it, how it could be used in a dainty, classic and adorable way. 


The only issue I had with this invitation style was the font. However, this was an easy fix. I saw the font on the below wedding invite and fell in love. It was all a matter of easy copy and paste. Take the design and transfer it onto the wedding info.


So... away we went.  The first example is a draft... and the second is our actual invitation.

#1.

#2.

On my MacBook, we used the program Preview to do the editing. We would copy and paste extra lines in, make it line up all nicely till finally, it looked just right.

Finally, when we assembled them and put the invitations together with the R.S.V.P. cards, they looked like this...


We did add a few little extras like the jute bow around the middle and this corner stamp that we found at Michaels. We even had the copies done at Staples on a regular white card stock which only ended up being $60.00. 

One thing I did not realize however, the jute bow did create a problem for postage. The envelope was too thick, so the post office charged double for postage for each invitation. OWEE! However... I loved the look of them, so I decided to splurge a little extra. 

Another thing about DIY wedding invitations, have people check them over and over again before you print them. I had the Best Man, Maid of Honour, future Husband, Mom and Dad check over them for spelling mistakes... yet there were still mistakes. Even giving it to a total stranger would be a good idea just so that you have some fresh eyes. 

All I know is that I really love the people that helped assemble them. They are always such a help. 

Travis, my new Husband

Caleb (the Best Man) and Clara (the Maid of Honour), we were an unstoppable team.

Finally, we added another little personal touch to the envelopes...

We used our thumb prints to create a heart seal. 

Hope you enjoyed a little bit more of our wedding prep. Enjoy the last few weeks of summer (I can't believe I'm saying that already!)

No comments:

Post a Comment